Monday, August 13, 2007

New patterns?

So, exactly when does a pattern that you are using become your own? As in, how many changes do you need to make before you can claim that it is your own original pattern? I have modified a few patterns, mostly because I believe that the instructions were wrong.

I found a delightful shawl pattern that I started working on in one of the Jiffy yarns. But, I didn't have as much of the same dye lot as I thought I had, so I put it aside, probably to get frogged at a later date.

I didn't have any more bulky weight yarn, which the pattern called for. But I did have this wonderful "vintage" mohair blend that Greg found at a yard sale a couple of years ago. It's closer to baby weight, so there would obviously be a gauge issue if I decided to use the pattern as written. So, I changed hook size to something smaller, added more stitches, added more rows, and changed some double-crochets into trebles. I'm about half-way done (I will post pics later when I finish), but it's already looking more gauzy and delicate. It still looks like the original, in a way (at least to me), but the gauge is completely different, and the pattern has definitely changed. But is it mine yet?

Whether it is or isn't, I need to get back to work on it. TTFN!

2 comments:

Mauren Mureaux said...

It's a great question and i have no answer.

It's like the drum covers i made, the top was totally someone else's dishcloth pattern made larger and then i added sides. Does that make it mine? I have NO clue.

MollyKnits said...

I believe that if you change 35% of a pattern or recipe, you can claim it as your own.